Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Missing Sock


So walk with me here.

I got up and went to gym yesterday morning and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Showered, dressed and went to work. Talked with my friend April who comes to the locker room to shower and dress after her workout elsewhere. She's a chatterbox to the max but a really sweet and uplifting gal.

This morning I had set my alarm for 5:30 instead of 4:30 and at 5:33 my phone goes off, "Hey beautiful, you have a text message" and it's from April with a selfie of her in a dark car with the caption "I don't think it's Thursday, your day off? I'm not seeing your car?"

I texted back, "Nope. Just woke up. Be there tomorrow. Sorry."
She responded, " Don't be sorry! Look how long my sabbatical was. Jeremy (her husband)  said last night, "So you got a workout in yesterday ad your key still works to Koko?  (workout gym) I said, Yeah, I know. Crazy huh? And then I just laughed. I told him I've turned a new leaf and even my boss said when he walked in, "I didn't expect to see your bright and shiny face." I told him the same thing! I've turned over a new leaf.
To which I responded, (just being real), " The mountain in front of me is so bit it makes me feel like my efforts are a waste. What's 30 minutes of walking going to do? The battle is fierce mentally. I know my God is bigger than any mountain, but I'm not. Well, maybe physically I'm bigger (small derisive chuckle).
She responded: "Marilyn, you have come so far from where you started. DO you recall the day you came down to my office to tell me that you no longer had to take a certain medication? If you stop now about 30 minutes could mean a lot! Why do you think I sent you a picture message this morning? Because we both need to get back on track! I wish I had my trainer Scott keeping me accountable after I had injured my back. So I wouldn't have put 50 lbs. of the 100 I lost back on. If I don't get my s**** together my stretchy clothes aren't going to fit." Go Team Marilyn & April! Ra Ra Cheer Cheer, they can do it! Yes, they can. If they can't do it no one can!

I thought about it for some time and proceeded to get dressed. And then the Holy Spirit whispered into my spirit. Here's what I texted her:
"I know this sounds corny, but I'm sitting here getting dressed and looking for my socks. Can't see one of them. I pick up my shoes, look in shoes, look under shoes and all around, and just don't see it. I do all the normal things to locate what's missing. Nothing. Can't find that stupid sock anywhere. So I stand up to go find a new sock in my dresser and turn around to look where I'd been sitting and on the floor, under the edge of my bed…there's my other sock, right under where I'd been sitting. The Holy Spirit whispered, "You just need to look at the problem from another angle and you'll find what you're looking for. It was there all the time."


I had been thinking that here I want to be an example to others, to show them God working in my life and failure just keeps hounding me. But His Spirit was louder than failure this morning, even in a whisper. He is so very "present". In and through April, in and through you, in my every day life, searching for a sock! I just need to trust Him, keep fighting and determine in my spirit  to honor Him in EVERY aspect of my life, even when I don't see results. He is at work.

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn,
    I always enjoy reading your blogs. They are authentic and transparent. I'm glad to hear you're still working hard, because that's what it is all about. It is mental most of all. If the mind is not focused in the right way, then everything falls apart. When it comes to this body of ours, we have to have the mindset of a champion. You are a champion. Champions press through the hard times. Go champ!!!!

    ReplyDelete