Wednesday, April 15, 2015

And So It Begins - A New Perspective

Read these verses today in John 15: 1-2: 'Jesus said, “I am the real vine, my Father is the vine-dresser. He removes any of my branches which are not bearing fruit and he prunes every branch that does bear fruit to increase its yield." (Phillips version) That whole passage in John 15:1-8 provokes much thought and encouragement. However, this morning verse 2 was shown to me in an new light. I read it in the first person instead of the third. Look at it again: Although it was Jesus who said, "He removes any of my branches which are not bearing fruit and he prunes every branch that does bear fruit to increase its yield." It was as if He wanted me to see the "my" not as Jesus, but as literally me. My Father removes any of my own branches (fears, failure attitude, negative thoughts, excess weight in ALL forms) which are not bearing fruit and He prunes (makes clean and pure) every branch in me that does bear fruit (success, victory) to increase its yield. I know. These verses are Jesus' words to us about abiding in the Vine and dwelling in Him. But bear with me a few minutes and think about it, how He spoke it to me. I prayed yesterday for His leadership on losing weight and today receive His confirmation that He will remove anything from my life that hinders me from walking with Him, abiding in Him or keeps me from honoring Him with my body and my life. How awesome is that? Again and again His Word comes alive and is so incredibly encouraging. I know that I know I'm on the right path to right and fully alive living. Don't stop Father. Teach me more. The whole passage is worthy of another read through: “I am the real vine, my Father is the vine-dresser. He removes any of my branches which are not bearing fruit and he prunes every branch that does bear fruit to increase its yield. Now, you have already been pruned by my words. You must go on growing in me and I will grow in you. For just as the branch cannot bear any fruit unless it shares the life of the vine, so you can produce nothing unless you go on growing in me. I am the vine itself, you are the branches. It is the man who shares my life and whose life I share who proves fruitful. For the plain fact is that apart from me you can do nothing at all. The man who does not share my life is like a branch that is broken off and withers away. He becomes just like the dry sticks that men pick up and use for the firewood. But if you live your life in me, and my words live in your hearts, you can ask for whatever you like and it will come true for you. This is how my Father will be glorified—in your becoming fruitful and being my disciples. Be glorified in me, O Lord. In Jesus' name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment