Thursday, April 2, 2015

Working out is Working OUT!

The 5K is just a little over a week away, so I thought it would be a good idea to go for my quarterly diabetic check-up at my doctor's office (I'm late by about 2 1/2 months). The appointment was made for a couple days ago and obediently I drove to the office. When going to this type of appointment the first thing they do, after the weigh in, is take blood from your finger for a test called an A1C. If you don't know, this test determines your blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months. It's a pretty big deal to a diabetic. A1C levels are determined thusly: Daily blood glucose # 4-6% = considered non-diabetic 68-126 .1-7% = considered in control 127-155 7.1-8.4% = monitor closely 156-195 8.5-10.4% = elevated levels 196-252 10.5 % or higher = seriously elevated levels 253 or higher The higher the number/level the more one is prone to a stroke or death, so monitoring these "numbers" is crucial, not to mention a very good idea. The last time I had my A1C level checked was in October 2014 and it was at 8.6. This time, on March 31st, 2015 my A1C level was...wait...wait...hold your breath...it's coming...it's coming... 5.6 Woo HOO!!! Dance of Joy!!! Woo Hoo!!! Do the fist bump in the air!!!!!! The doctor also told me that my blood pressure was 98 over 56 and I could decrease one of my bp meds by half. The goal is to get off the meds completely, but I'll take decreasing a med...for now. When I asked her if I could think about discontinuing the diabetic meds she said she wanted to wait and see how I did at my next check up; that'll be the end of July. One of the reasons I am so excited about this is because since January (this year) I've been on that treadmill 5 days a week and the past 3 weeks I've been able to walk the 5K each Saturday. For me this is a serious work out regime and the "numbers" show that it is truly working and paying off big time. You can't fake those numbers. I've only lost 5 lbs since then but big whopping deal! My body is getting healthy! My cholesterol numbers are way down as well; not below 200 (normal) but 213. All these numbers will decrease as I continue to eat healthy, exercise and keep walking with my Lord. It's working! Thank you Jesus! Thank you Jesus!!!

1 comment: