Monday, April 13, 2015

De-feet Agony





I was going to title this blog, "Agony of De-feet" but that didn't seem very positive for the tremendous experience I had this past Saturday in Fort Dodge, Iowa, at the Hy-Vee Half Marathon & 5K race for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. I even have photos to show you, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow when I can figure out how to upload them. I knew I was in a little bit of trouble when on Friday I wore a sock with a small hole near the heal and 46 minutes into my walk on the treadmill I felt some irritation. Sure enough, by the time I showered I had a nickel-sized blister there. Okay, fine, I could handle this. Went and bought a bilster bandaid and during the race it was not problem at all. It was when I went to take it off after the race and the bandaid pulled most of the skin off the blister that the uh-oh came. Remarkably, when we arrived the temp was only 38 degrees. Thankfully, when the race started at 9:30 AM it was up to a balmy 50, which was good, and even though the race started on on asphalt, it didn't stay on asphalt. It turned into rock, then grass, then down hills (ouch on the left knee) and up hills and as there had been snow there the week before they had put sawdust over the areas of water run off and muddy areas. Most walked around the mud if they could but that was uneven terrain and was quite a challenge to the ankles. Still, I kept on, not even stopping for breath, and seemed to grow stronger going up the hills than I was on level areas. At several points there were sitting benches and one in particular stood out to me. On the back rest the donator had written "Enjoy life". What an encouragement for me and a confirmation that I was surely where the Lord wanted me that day. It was not an easy 3.1 miles. Although the blister didn't bother me, the uneven terrain played havoc on my right achilles tendon. I was so into forging ahead that I didn't even realize it until I reached the end of the race. The race was exhilarating! Remember the cheer the Lord gave me Friday? "You're not alone. My angels are beside you on your right, on your left, they're cheering you on!" Throughout the race I repeated that cheer and truly did feel His power fill me and surround me, knowing that many were praying for me. After the 2 mile mark I heard one of the 3 ladies behind me say, "So how long is a 5K anyway? Two, two and a half miles?" Chuckling I hollered back, with conviction, "3 point 1 miles!" "Oh," she said, and there was silence for a while. LOL. But I knew I was making it to the finish line! My arms lifted to heaven shortly after and I heard her say, "Look, she's raising her arms in victory." I smiled. Truly I was defeating all the agony, the fear, the defeatist attitudes of the past, and all the honor goes to my Lord. That last hill was a doozy though. I had just crossed a foot bridge and looking up I saw my husband waiting for me. I was almost there. I was reminded of the last part of another cheer, "See them ahead? They're cheering you on, All glory to God, the race has been won!" And those at the end of the race were cheering me on for that was a steep hill to climb. I felt His power through the prayers of my friends and was renewed with energy go forcefully tredge up that hill. Falling into my husband's outstretched arms I laughed, I cried, I shouted, "Thank you Jesus!" 56 minutes at that point, a couple minutes later I crossed the official finish line. Whew! What a rush! Arms uplifted, I continue to defeat past agonies and still I can smile. Back at it early this morning in the gym, but not on the treadmill for a couple days. To allow my right ankle to recover I did 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Lord willing another 5K in June or July and then again for the Breast Cancer walk/run in September. Lord lead the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment