Friday, March 20, 2015

Elijah, the Big Wussy

This morning my plan was to walk 40 minutes at 3.2 mph. I did 35 minutes yesterday, got to keep it up. But when I opened the gym door I was hit with sauna-like heat and the smell of sweaty feet. It was too much. I could only do 20 minutes on the treadmill. I was dripping sweat at 3 minutes into the warm-up. Stopping at 20 minutes, I went into the showers feeling like a total loser. It didn't help that another young, totally fit, (did I say young?) girl was on the elliptical machine when I arrived just a be-bopping along and when I left she was lifting weights and doing sit ups. SIT UPS! Really???!!!! When I got to my office I was reading the story of Elijah out of 1st Kings 19, where he had killed all the prophets of Baal and King Ahab told Jezebel and she got mad and set out to kill Elijah. He was afraid and ran for his life. When he stopped he prayed to the Lord and basically told him to "Just kill me now." Interestingly, an angel appeared as he was going to sleep and told him to "get up and eat...you have a long journey ahead. What are you doing here?" So Elijah ate the food God gave him and went on his 40 day journey. When with God, Elijah was strong and very powerful, but by himself, Elijah was a big wuss. Still, God knew that and didn't degrade him or call him a loser. He fed him and strengthened him for the journey. And, no surprise here, God took care of Jezebel. Later in 2 Kings I read one of God's prophets foretold that she would be killed, thrown to the ground and be like dung eaten by dogs. (You don't mess with God's child!). Still, I could relate to Elijah's "Just kill me now" attitude. I tried to keep going, but my body just shut down. What's the matter with me Father? At this rate I'll be lucky to finish the 5K in an jour How is that honoring to you? His response: "Daughter, this "race" isn't just for you. You made plans to run your race and that's fine, but it's not about you. Remember? It's about showing others ME. Shake it off, consider it a lesson learned and know I am feeding you what you need to continue your journey. Do like Elijah did, prepare others to walk their journey to honoring Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment