Saturday, March 21, 2015

Look Up, Look Out!

Well, for the second Saturday in a row I walked a 5K on the treadmill. Last week my speed was 3.2 mph in 59 minutes, and today was at 3.3 mph, and I walked it in 56 minutes. That may not seem like much to a seasoned runner or 5K, 10K or even marathon regular, but for someone who is 100 lbs overweight, diabetic and has high blood pressure, that's pretty dog gone good! And I am quite proud of my efforts. Am even more pleased that the Lord is right there with me, encouraging me with exercise cheers, songs and as my heavenly Trainer, words of truth to step up higher. Today He was disciplining me to stay focused and gave me this cheer: Look up, Look out, Set your eyes on Jesus. Look up, Look out, You're getting fit for Him. Look up, Look out, Walking with my Savior. Look up, Look out, I'm walking to my King. What was interesting was that as I looked ahead and stayed focused I could see that shadow outline of a person (I like to think it was Jesus). If my mind drifted to negative thoughts (sent by the enemy) or trivial distractions, then the image faded. Yet, as I was being disciplined to intently focus on "walking with my Savior," the lower my gaze, the wider the image became, and when I raised my eyes higher it got more slender. I liked that! LOL I know it sounds silly and to some it might seem just a product of my imagination, but even when I got distracted and the image faded, His Spirit that lives within me reminded me of that poem, "Footprints in the Sand". Even when I didn't see him, "it was then that I carried you," and I was comforted and empowered to keep on walking. I got to 55 minutes and switched the machine from minutes to miles, looking for that goal of 3.1. When I switched it I saw 3.02 mph, and something within me became giddy with excitement. I was almost to the "finish line." It was even harder to stay focused! My husband was walking beside me on another treadmill and as I reached the 3.1 mile marker I looked at him and we shared a high five! I told him of the cheer above that Jesus gave me and of how thankful I was to the Lord for this victory. Then the joy of the Lord filled me with laughter. I couldn't stop shouting "thank you Jesus!" Walking out of the room to the showers I couldn't not shout His praise! My God is so good to me and I know that I know He is guiding me straight to the victory that lies ahead on April 11th. I know you may be asking about now, "What is the goal for next week?" I pondered that as I waited for the water to heat up in the shower. When I told my supervisor yesterday about what I was doing he said, "You're getting pretty serious about this, aren't you? Before you know it you'll be doing a 10K and then a half marathon and marathon!" I don't know about that, but for next week the Lord and I agree, 3.4 mph is my goal. Jogging? Running? Well, as He takes the weight off that may be another challenge to overcome. The knees won't tolerate that with all this excess weight, but I'm optimistic. In Jesus' name I agree with His word that tells me, "I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength!"

No comments:

Post a Comment